Thursday 25 August 2011

Knit One, Eye Another. . .



My knitted log cabin progresses. I've almost done six squares; a few more and it'll be a blanket for one. Then I'll decide if I want to make it a blanket for two or even turn it into a possible bedspread. It's a great project to bring on the bus and my boring home bound commute as gone much faster as a result.  And now I think I'm obsessed with knitted quilts because they don't require, well, any quilting.  Don't get me wrong - I love quilting and have a towering stash of fat quarters and half-finished projects to prove it, but my apartment is small, filled with far too many books and as a result, spare table space to block and sew is quite limited.  Knitting on the couch listening to music or the radio - no problems!


I've been completely inspired by some of the projects in Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne's  Mason Dixon Knitting, in particular their mitred block quilt.  More info here.  Gorgeous, isn't it.


Or how about this tumbling blocks blanket designed by Kaffe Fassett (free pattern download at Rowan's website here.)


And here's the adorable quilt that everyone seems to be knitting over at Ravelry (over 900 knitters around the world are currently working on this project - count me among them.)  This puffy Beekeeper's Quilt designed by tiny owl knits is so great for using up spare yarn and there's no seaming.   I think it'll be ideal to work on these while commuting and travelling. I'm going to give it a year and see how many I can do.  Did my first "puff" last night and I was very happy with how it turned out.  Thanks to Toronto's Knit Cafe blog for drawing my attention to it.

No comments: