Friday 25 April 2014

The First Squares. . .

Since I'm using fingering 4ply instead of worsted weight for this mystery afghan, I've decided to knit eight squares for each design.  Here are my first four (I'll do two squares in each colour combo) and I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out.  As the main background to this blanket, I'm using two different skeins of Jillybeans Knot Another Granny Yarn in the shades Mountain View (on the left) and Hoping For Summer (on the right).  I fell in love with the colours in this yarn when saw them at Woolfest and each skein has ample yardage, so I'm hoping to use a bit in every square - depending on the pattern - or at least make them the dominant background colours.  In choosing the solid colours, I went for one that is high contrast and then one that is more muted, but still makes the texture pop. The yarns are bits of Titus, and 4ply from John Arbon  and Blacker Wools, all great British yarns.  In fact, I may try to make this an all-British blanket if I can.

 

Kaffe Fassett once said, "If in doubt, add twenty more colours."  I'm channelling my inner Kaffe for this project, something I've wanted to do ever since this day.   Can't wait until Monday for the next clue.

2 comments:

Dayana Knits said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the change in the quote in the KAL thread from "add a color" to "add twenty"! :) It looks great, really great.

Blithe Spirit said...

Thanks Dayana - I'm really enjoying knitting this.