Thursday 25 September 2014

Some Easy Stashbusting Blankets. . .

I've been on a roll with blankets lately.  My huge granny square has now become big enough to cover the double bed so I'm calling it done for now (just a few ends to weave in). It's heavy, but very cosy to snuggle under and I love all the colours.  I used just bits and bobs of leftover stash and it was the perfect project for telly watching.  I basically used mostly DK weight, but threw in the odd chunky yarn (just did three doubles instead of four for each space) and a few fingering weights held double. I really like being reminded of previous projects when I look at this blanket and also really happy that I finally found a use for some odd skeins that I just couldn't find a project for. 
 
 
This week I also finished this throw for the spare bedroom. The pattern is adapted from Stephen West's Garter Squish blanket (free on ravelry) and again, it's a great stashbuster. You just knit as many rows of garter stitch as you like with chunky yarn (or DK held double), along with a contrasting colour of lace or 4ply which creates this lovely mottled, tweedy effect.  I just did two separate lengths of differently sized stripes, crocheted them together and added a crochet edging.  I have guests coming from Canada tomorrow (hooray!) and as the nights are getting a bit chilly, this will hopefully keep one of them warm.

 


 
I would love to be able to say that these two blankets have made a significant dent in my stash but alas (hangs head) they really haven't. 


No comments: