Wednesday 19 August 2015

Garments Number 8 and 9. . .

I have been on a knitting roll this summer and really happy with my finished garments.  I'm well positioned with my major challenge this year - to knit twelve garments in twelve months -  and quite chuffed that this week I finished two more, giving me a grand total of nine, and well ahead of where I wanted to be going into the autumn. 

Incidentally these are both patterns by Karie Westermann; I really like her design aesthetic and her patterns are very well written.  First up is my Scollay Cardigan.  I made a few modifications - I knit the body and sleeves in stockinette rather than reverse stockinette; I took out the lace pattern at the hem and bottom of the sleeves, and added pockets and two rows to the button bands.  It was my first time attempting pockets so that's a new skill learned and it makes this very cozy cardi perfect for work as I always need to have a small bunch of keys on hand. The wool is solid Yorkshire Wendy Ramsdale and while it is a bit fuzzy and has a distinct halo, it is enormously soft and really warm.  I will get a lot of wear out of this cardigan come the winter. 


The yoke is in reverse stockinette and while the yarn doesn't show up the lace pattern as well as it could, it does have a nice texture. I decided to have some fun with the colourful buttons which I picked up at a yarn show some years ago.  I'm guessing they came from Textile Garden as I always stop at their booth.


I'm really pleased with the fit and the length. I knitted it on slightly smaller needles than called for (3.75mm) to try and tighten the fabric and hopefully reduce any pilling.

And the top I'm wearing underneath?


This is one of Karie's newest patterns: Chard.  I knit it out of my sale stash of Rowan Summer Tweed.  It was a very quick knit and fun to do. You knit it top down and I like the look of the lace on the garter stitch yoke. There is some nice detailing - short rows on the back and little side gaps on the bottom hem.  I'm off to the seaside shortly and this will be the perfect summer top to take with me.



Now I just need to get back to my tricky fair isle cardigan.

No comments: