Friday 15 April 2016

The Rhombille Sweater. . .

Rhombille was a quick knit.  It's designed by Gina Rockenwagner and featured in Pom Pom Quarterly's Spring 2016 issue.

I used about 1.5 skeins of Cascade Eco, which I've had in my stash for years.  I was in the mood for knitting a sweater with bigger wool and I loved the lace and garter stitch design on the body.


You knit the front and back separately from the bottom up and then increase for the sleeves, so once you have finished the lace pattern it's just lovely rows of garter stitch with some short rows.  I tried the Japanese Short Row technique for the first time and I love it. You place a stitch marker on the working yarn when you turn, slip the first stitch and then knit/purl as per the pattern.  The stitch marker lies between the slipped stitch and the next worked stitch and when you come back to pick it up, you just give it a little tug which gives you a little stitch to slip onto the left needle and then you just  k2tog or p2tog with the next stitch. It makes your short rows flow into the fabric beautifully and you can't even see where you did the turn.  I shall definitely be using this method for all short rows from now on.

This is the perfect sweater to just throw over a shirt when it's a bit chilly out.  I was initially worried that the sleeves would be too bulky with all that garter stitch, but they really fit the scale of the rest of the pattern.


The photo washes out the green somewhat - it's much more of a deep, tweedy forest green.  Perfect for fall, but I'll be wearing this throughout the spring too.


No comments: